home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Mod Mix Monday 31

Drinking in a New Year
Alcohol and New Year's go hand in hand.
I'm still pinning away nice bar ideas.
I love this old trunk turned into a bar and mixed with the vintage mirror and modern ghost chairs.
I only had a little egg nog for New Year's by they way and it was long after midnight.
I think it would be cool to have a bar set up in the house all the time because the bottles look 
so chic on a tray.
But truth is...I don't drink hardly at all.
I used to enjoy a cocktail quite frequently but I've found in middle age, 
I feel drunk most of the time without drinking. 
I don't need a drink to make me feel even more unsteady.

Lots of pretty things in last week's Mod Mix Monday.

Let's look....
Valorie aka The Visual Vamp took down her Christmas decor and replaced it with
New Year's decorations. Oh and she did this with things she has on hand.
She invited friends to drop by to celebrate
the New Year. That's her little dog Cholo posing.
Oh...I wish we lived in the same neighborhood and I could just have dropped by for a drink 
and a snack with her and Alberto.
This lovely holiday table was put together by Aimee at It's Overflowing.
Love all the silver and snowy white with sparkles.
Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage did a change up on her mantel from Christmas to New Year's.
She made that pretty 2012 banner.
My friend, Amy over at Maison Decor is so creatively prolific. 
She has always got a new pretty project going on in her house.
She bought fabric samples from Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic SoHo Store.
I love the way she is showing them off in her studio.
Betsy of Betsy Speert's Blog shared her family room redo.
It's so pretty and yet cozy and livable.
Kind of unlike my own living room where I get uncomfortable when someone has the nerve
to sit on my pink sofa.
I know that is so wrong.
One night late, I got on Petfinder and found this cute little 10 month old boy.
I seriously considered adopting him and even sent in an application and called.
But today, the day I was suppose to go see him...Violet woke with a back ache and that made me think I need to just focus on
taking care of the pups I have and not adding another even though I really want to.
I keep thinking about him though.
Plus I need to increase my income before I get another...which makes me sad...because
I really want to add a puppy to the mix to make us all happy.

In other news...I am having problems with Facebook.

I usually post all my blog posts on to my Mod Vintage Life page on
Facebook but since a day or so before Christmas I am unable to.
A locked sign is showing in my post window every time I try to post something and nothing happens.

I sent a help message to Facebook days ago...and have heard nothing back.
I still cannot post anything.
I know many of my readers like to just wait to read a post when they see it come up on
Facebook and now I can't get that to work.
Does anyone have any idea why I might be locked out?

In other news...I was asked to become an official team member at Target.
No raise involved and no benefits...so kind of wondering what the honor is in that.
Other than it will be steady income while I continue to look for a real job.

Let me tell you people working at Target and Walmart are not making ends meet and they do
not have insurance.
The cheap prices they offer come at a cost to those in our society that are struggling already.

At least I know my career in discount retail will not be forever but for many that is all they can get.

I am not saying that Target is a bad company. They are not.
They donate large amounts of products and money each year and treat their employees well.
But as long as this is the standard to work people 37 hours a week so that you do not have to
provide full time benefits...that is the way things will continue.



As you see I am late getting Mod Mix Monday up again.
I'll try to do better...

I got home way past midnight the last two nights.

Link up your Mod Mix's for this week below!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely post and photos, inspiring for the new year. You are absolutely right. Wishing us all much joy, love, happiness, health, wealth and wisdom for this year and always.

A Few Pennies said...

Me, too, I had a glass of wine and instantly fell asleep soon after. Good thing I blogged first. Love the trunk bar--so classic with bottles/trays/glasses. Thank you for hosting these great parties!

Shannon Fox said...

Where to start? I am glad you're getting more hours. The just under 40hours thing stinks. Big business, thanks so much! Not. Great that they get a big, fat tax incentive for donating. How about helping out the people that keep you running? Better stop now. The puppy was cute, and I know you want one but I think you did the right thing, all the hours away from home are probably not good for a new family member. Bet you'll know when the time is right =) And my guess is just the right pup will find YOU. Hope your girly is feeling okay? Thanks for sharing my New Year mantle. Hope 2012 is a wonderful one for you Nita!! XO-Shannon

Shannon Fox said...

I copy/pasted your fist pic in the post, then added the link. I put it on your fb page for you. This is the best solution I have come up with since not being able to share links! Hope that helps =)

Amy Chalmers said...

Thanks for showing my sample board Nita. I actually found those samples on ebay! They were from the old SOHO store that closed (maybe inthe 80s)...so they are all from her first round of fabrics...so exciting to see them and hold them.
I think if the puppy is going to a shelter and needs a home he would be happy to live with such a caring mom and brother and sisters! He looks adorable too, and puppies are so sweet. I say go get him Nita! I would be happy to send a donation to help with his fees and shots.
Loved the trunk on the metal stand turned into a bar! Wow, that is a cool idea even for a hall table.

h. m. settoon said...

I love the trunk turned bar, but then I'm a sucker for old luggage used in decor.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Great features, Nita, and Happy New year!

I can see why you keep thinking about that adorable pup. But adding new babies DOES get expensive. I hope your job situation will turn around for the better VERY SOON.

Hope to see you again this Wednesday night for Time Travel Thursday. ;)

Blessings,
Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

anotherbethsmith said...

Hi, Nita
I really like your blog and love your blog roll- I use it all the time. I don't want to stop and I don't want to be petty, but I was sad when I saw the title on one of the blogs on your blog roll. Just didn't want to leave without telling you why. Thanks, Beth
goodvariety@yahoo.com

the gardener's cottage said...

hi nita,

happy new year. let's hope 2012 will be a good one. i'm away on vacation so i won't be linking up today. next week for sure. you are so right about walmart and target. xo janet plus all your picks this week are stunning.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hostessing the first party of 2012 for Mod Vintage Life! I am in full Valentines mod :) ~ Mary

Adam Hazlett said...

Nita,
Happy New Year! Glad to read you'll be an official Target team member. Are you staying on at Pier 1 too? That pup is very cute.
I wish it could join your family, but I think you made the right decision.
I think Steve, from The Urban Cottage, put a stacked suitcase bar in his dining room closet. They do look good.
You might have been hacked on Facebook....someone may have changed your password. You need to keep sending requests for help. They'll eventually get back to you...check your spam folder for their responses...sometimes their help doesn't lead to any answers.
Adam

ChicagoGrrrl said...

i think that you should get the puppy!! i am a lurker here and that little face is soooo lovely. he needs a home as special as yours! i will use all my karma for you to land a $$$ job

Pam @ Frippery said...

I am hoping for better days for you in 2012. You have been in my thoughts. I was looking for local retail jobs as things are getting dicier here but I have a temp job coming up at the tail end of February. I don't want to take something then quit . Since the temp job pays well I will wait until that ends in May to look again. Know that I am thinking of you and sending good thoughts for this new year. Stay positive, Pam

Cindy said...

Hello my friend,
I have joined you today, thanks so much for this great party.
Love and hugs, Cindy

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

I've been thinking about you Nita. Hope you are doing ok. Glad you got on at Target but hope you get something with better benefits soon.
Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful blog. Boo for Target! I wish you lots of luck in the New Year!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Thanks for hosting Nita...get some rest!

Cindi Myers said...

I'm late getting here, sorry.

Of course that dog is yours!
Is he a blue merle? ADORABLE!
What's one more? How much could he eat? You get a discount at Target on dog food right?
Crap, I love Target and now I find that they suck too. They make HUGE profits and yet can't give their employees benefits? crap, crap, crap.
I hope your job interview turns out well and gets you out of there!
XOXO - Cindi

Catherine said...

Nita, I recently found your blog and enjoy reading about your pups. I too have doxies! I have a long hair red hair female and a black and tan male. We love them very much. I still look at the rescues (Southern California Dachshund Rescue) and think about adopting another. I cried when I read your story about Newman. I hope things are getting better for you.

I hope you find your dream job soon. Target is lucky to have you!

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

Nita, my 16-year-old son just got hired from seasonal to part-time employee at Target, and his letter said that they would offer health benefits after 6 months' employment, even for part-timers. Of course, for him, he won't be working enough to make that worthwhile, but maybe it will help you! I know the pay isn't great, but having those benefits would be nice.